The Gnostics were right, to know yourself is to know the divine.
Today, we talk about play. People seem to have a lot of attitudes about play. One is to see it as frivolous. Another sees it as refuge from a “reality” they don’t like. For some their play is even work. What are your attitudes about play, friends?
- I see play as a vital form of regeneration like sleep or nourishment.
- We need more of it, but I find people kind of sneer at it when I share.
- I think I play too much. Interferes with the seriousness of some of my friends. I don’t take ‘issues’ too seriously, which confuses my friends sometimes.
What is a serious situation?
Someone dying. Dying is serious why? Does taking death seriously help us deal with death better? Does taking death seriously help anyone deal better?
- I don’t find it serious, but a majority of my friends suffer with the death of a loved one.
- We are conditioned to take death very seriously and find nothing positive in it.
- The notion of serious seems to be attributed by people who see everything as permanent.
We have no cure for aging do we?
Death is a cure. Death is a release from a body that would otherwise make us suffer indescribably. People have begged for death and it wasn’t insane, but what does this have to do with play? With the serious inevitability of death, how do we have any time for play?
What is life without joy? What is joy without life? Joy without life is an idea, but people feel life should be spent with ideas. Do you feel joy when you think of joy as an abstract concept?
We were given happy hormones. I think play helps in bonding. Play does help bonding and my wife and I play daily.
I know people who adamantly state how happy they are with the most serious expression, almost angry to be questioned about it. And if you asked them why, they couldn’t say. If you asked them to smile it wouldn’t go over well. Why is this?
Do we need a reason to play? We are a reason to play. When we were children we woke with a desire to play. We wanted our day to happen. Do we still feel that way?
Your thoughts are welcome. Be well friends.One World class participants. Thank you!)