There are a lot of people out there looking for love. It doesn’t have to be just romantic love. Love can mean many different things, from many different people. But one thing everyone has in common is that they are looking for ‘true love’. Real love. The authentic, one of a kind thing. But what does true love look like? How will you know it when you find it? Well, here are sixteen characteristics of true love:
- Is patient – This is evident. Someone who is impatient doesn’t really love you. That doesn’t mean you keep them waiting around for hours, but it does mean they love you enough to cut you some slack when you are running late.
- Is kind – Basic, basic, basic. If someone is not kind to you then they don’t love you. Love does not want to hurt you, especially not on purpose!
- Does not envy – Envy is different than jealousy. Envy has at its heart resentment. Resentment breeds bitterness, which breeds hate… the opposite of love!
- Does not boast – Boasting means that someone is insecure. They think they have to be selling themselves all the time. If they don’t love themselves, how can they love you?
- Is not proud – Someone who is prideful loves themselves above everyone else. If they have no room for anyone else in their heart, then they can’t love you.
- Does not dishonor others – This goes along with being kind. If they are putting other people down all the time, then they will probably put you down too, and that is not love.
- Is not self-seeking – Selfishness is not love. If they are out for number one, they will leave you behind in a heartbeat.
- Is not easily angered – Getting angry quickly is a sign of deeper problems. Those problems must be resolved before they can love you or anyone else. They may be able to fake it for a while, but you don’t want to be around an angry person. You will get hurt.
- Keeps no record of wrongs – If someone is always bringing up mistakes from the past, then they don’t love you. They are hording all that pain and resentment. How can they be free to give you love if they are wallowing in pain? That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be held accountable for your mistakes, but once you have changed or made up for them, they should be forgotten.
- Does not delight in evil – Anyone who thinks bad things are great is scary. Get away from them before you get hurt.
- Rejoices with the truth – Truth is always better than lies, even if the truth hurts. People who love you know that. If someone is lying to you all the time, they don’t really love you.
- Always protects – Also, if someone is talking about your faults or your issues to others instead of keeping your secrets and trust, then they don’t love you. Love wants to protect and shield, not expose.
- Always trusts – If someone is always asking where you are and who you are with then they don’t really love you. They may want to own you or have trust issues, but either way they cannot give you lasting love. Love requires trust.
- Always hopes – If someone is always seeing the worst in everything then how can they love you? They are always defeated and hopeless. Hope is the foundation of every positive emotion.
- Always perseveres – Love keeps going, no matter the obstacles. If someone really loves you, they will not give you up, no matter what comes between you.
- Never fails – That isn’t to say that the person doing the loving is perfect and unfailing, but the love itself never goes away. It doesn’t die. It doesn’t fade away. Love, true love, is permanent.
Monta the mother of three children serves as an Expert Advisor on multiple household help issues to many Organizations and groups, and is a mentor for other “Mom-preneurs” seeking guidance. She is a regular contributor of “gonannies.com”. You can get in touch with her at montafleming6Atgmail dotcom.